R92 Studio Ribbon Microphone by AEA
In the past few years AEA’s acclaimed R84 Ribbon Microphone has become a new studio standard. Now AEA has once again expanded the sonic possibilities of ribbon mics with the R92 Ribbon Microphone. Reduced proximity bass boost and excellent wind blast protection make it suitable for close micing (6-12 inches) of guitar amps, vocals, percussion, etc. In addition, the smooth high frequency response of the R88 transducer has been further extended in the R92, making the R92 a unique voice in the world of ribbon mics.
AEA has designed the R92 to have slightly different tones on the front and rear pickup lobes of the microphone. The front lobe of the R92 is the “crisp” side, offering exceptionally clean and realistic high end detail. The rear lobe is the “smooth” side, which has a bit of classic ribbon high end rolloff that can help to handle harsh transients in a very refined and flattering way. Just like its bigger brothers in AEA’s LRGTM microphone series, the bass reproduction of the R92 is very solid and extended to the lowest audible bass frequencies.
The R92 is designed with an integral elastic shock mount, featuring a unique mounting system that allows excellent flexibility of mic positioning. The mic ships with a two meter cable and a durable plastic carrying case.
AEA’s Matt Ashman comments about the R92: “We designed it to have a very full range sound, and to capture it all with a minimum of resonance artifacts for the ultimate in realism. It’s perfect for getting FAT guitar sounds with a present and clean high end.”
- Large Ribbon Geometry@trade; transducer
- Solid bass and smooth treble response
- Fast, accurate transient reproduction
- Low self noise and high SPL capability
- Excellent off-axis frequency response
- Wide-band response from 20Hz to 20 KHz
- Distinct character of front and rear lobes
- Weight: 2 pounds with cable and storage case
- Length: 7.5”
- Depth: 2.5”
- Width: 2.9” with stand adapter
- Polar Pattern: Native bidirectional (figure-eight)
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 18 kHz (+/- 3 dB)
- Maximum SPL: >135 dB SPL peak
- Output Sensitivity: > -55 dBv/Pa
- Output Impedance: 270 ohms nominal
- Recommended Load: 1.2 K ohm or greater
- Powering: Not required or recommended
- Polarity: Pin 2 high
- Connector: XLR-3M wired to a 2 meter captive cable
- Includes durable plastic case with foam interior
- Operating manual for proper care and usage.
- Ribbon Thickness: 1.8 microns ( .0000018 meter ) of pure aluminum
- Ribbon Width: 4.7 mm
- Ribbon Length: 59.7 mm
- One year parts and labor, shipping not included